Third Year Beekeeper Checking Into Forum For First Time

The first forum to visit. Stop in here and make a post about yourself. Give us some details - how many hives, what type of hive, how long you've been keeping bees!

Third Year Beekeeper Checking Into Forum For First Time

Postby bildge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 am

Hello from Indianapolis Southside.

Built my first hive and bought my first bees 2 1/2 years ago. First hive was a top-bar.

Built my second hive 1 1/2 years ago using standard Langstroth medium dimensions (6 boxes with foundationless frames). Trapped a swarm coming from the top-bar hive to populate it.

Both hives died this winter. Unsure of cause. Plenty of food left in both hives. :cry: Repopulated the Langstroth this spring with a package. Tore apart the top-bar and rebuilt it as two nucs holding 11 standard super frames each and double thick walls and improved roofs to try and make them overwinter. And finally last weekend did my first split from the Langstroth into one of the new nucs.

So now that the intro is done, are you ready for a serious question?

Have any of you fellow Indy beekeepers gone through Bee Venom Immunotherapy aka Desensitization? I am looking for an allergist in Indy that has experience treating beekeepers. First two years of stings I was fine, but this year my first sting gave me large, long lasting rash in the area of the sting. And then my second and third stings occurring at the same time gave me a systemic reaction (going through the whole body). Problem is I guess that I am not getting stung often enough. Debating trying to get stung more, but give the severity of the current reactions would prefer to have injections done under a Doctors watchful eye.

Thanks!
bildge

Return to Introductions