Beekeepers Insurance?

This is a general beekeeping forum to discuss all the various topics on beekeeping that don't fit in any of the other beekeeping forums.

Beekeepers Insurance?

Postby David H » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:54 am

Would anyone recommend an insurance agent/company that would offer liability insurance for my two hives?
I have just been informed that my current homeowners insurance will not cover this.
David H

Re: Beekeepers Insurance?

Postby Bee Madness » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48 am

We were looking into insurance because a local farmers market would require a liability policy to sell at their location. We found that to cover for example if we fought with a patron of the market or damaged their parking lot it would cost in the neighborhood of $500/ year. That seemed like alot of pounds of honey to sell to get started selling there. We also looked into protecting ourselves from liability of our product and hives on our property and at out apiaries would cost about $500/year. 2 different policies seems to be the consensus from insurance professionals of how to cover even small scale beekeeping issues that may arise. Then USDA has honey crop insurance that will cover to average local honey crop lost in the event of disaster haven't really found out how much that costs yet. Seems like the state or national beekeeping assoc could facilitate group coverage in this area. Most all of us would welcome basic coverage at an affordable rate i bet. I would welcome some help from bigger beekeepers on what they use too!
Bee Madness

Postby David H » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Honestly $500 for liability insurance for my TWO hives is out of reach. I have my fingers crossed and have POSTED NO TRESPASSING SIGNS and signs that state honeybees will sting to defend their hive Do not approach hives. I am hoping for the best. The hives are located in the central area of my three acres. Someone would have to have a desire to get stung on my property. Any other ideas would be welcome.
David H

Postby hive dipper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:46 am

I believe in Indiana the land owner is not held responsable for an accident on his property if someone is trespassing and there is no gross negligence. I know that if a hunter has written permission to hunt on your property and something happens the land owner is not held responsable. There is also an implyed consent law that if you are notified of the situation you cannot hold the owner responsable. Like going to a batting cage and getting your car wind shield broken by a ball. Sounds like you are doing everything possable.
hive dipper

Return to General Beekeeping