Locating a new hive

This is a general beekeeping forum to discuss all the various topics on beekeeping that don't fit in any of the other beekeeping forums.

Locating a new hive

Postby r05c03 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am

So, this weekend I captured a swarm. It is currently in a deep hive body, building out comb on top bars. These top bars will be used to transfer the swarm to a brand new horizontal top bar hive. I need to find a permanent place for this hive. I have space on the east side of my house. There are many good things about this space. It is protected from the west / north west wind, and it is secluded and out of the way. There is also room for two people work around the entire hive, an important consideration for a HTBH. The one negative is that will receive sun only during high noon and a few hours on either side of that. In all other times it will be in the shade of my or my neighbors house. I worry mostly about it being out of the sun too long in the winter time. I have other spaces available that would be better for the hive but their are either too prominently visible / close to neighbors, too close to where the kids play or too cramped to work efficiently. Thoughts? Opinions?
r05c03

Return to General Beekeeping