Africanized bees Help

This is a general beekeeping forum to discuss all the various topics on beekeeping that don't fit in any of the other beekeeping forums.

Africanized bees Help

Postby David H » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Help I installed a package of "Italians" in May. They superseded their queen and have now gone rogue. I am sure they are Africanized as I am unable to work them and count my stings. How do I get rid of these devils?
David H

Re: Africanized bees Help

Postby r05c03 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 am

I seriously doubt you have africanized bees. See the link below for their farthest known spread. That being said, it does not mean that your bees are not bad tempered. Are you sure they superseded? How have you confirmed this? A great number if things can make your bees stingy. How old is the colony? Do you have a queen at all? Is their a predator coming at night and messing with the bees? Are the bees too hot? It may very well be that the queen was superseded and that a change in genetics has resulted in a change of demeanor. However, you should eliminate other possibilities. At any rate, the quickest way to change bee behavior is to get a new queen.

http://livingwithinsects.files.wordpres ... beemap.png
r05c03

Return to General Beekeeping