Hive bodies-new hive

This forum is for asking any questions related to starting beekeeping.

Hive bodies-new hive

Postby xoxgb » Sat May 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I am very new to beekeeping and have a question that I am hoping that someone can answer for me. I have had my first hive set up and bees installed for about 3 weeks now. I fear that I have made a mistake by setting up the hive with 2 brood boxes and no supers to start. I started with package bees and did my first inspection to make sure that the queen was released after about 5 days. The second inspection was done today and it appears that the bees have been extremely busy laying, storing, etc. as at least 3-4 of the frames are already nearly full. The bees are all in the top hive body with none in the lower......I was wondering if I should keep the hive as is or should I remove the bottom hive body and just leave the top part, or should I switch the top and bottom hive bodies so that they build up? I plan on attending meetings in the future and probably should find a mentor. Any answers and help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Scott
xoxgb

Re: Hive bodies-new hive

Postby x-sfmed » Sun May 18, 2014 6:18 pm

If there is no activity in the bottom deep (ie the queen is not laying down there) then you can swap the deep box positions. Move the empty bottom deep so that its above the deep with the bees, queen and brood. Its better to give them too much space as opposed to not enough, especially with a quick building package in the spring. Dont worry about supers until they start working the empty deep. Just remember, as a new beekeeper with a package your goal should be to get that hive built up so that they can survive the winter. Any honey you get is a bonus. Good luck.
x-sfmed

Return to Beginning Beekeeping